Monday, December 22, 2008

Problogger Wannabes: 4 Things to Expect During your Early Months of Blogging (Part 4)

This is PART 4 in a mini-series of posts on Problogger Wannabes: 4 Things to Expect during your Early Months of Blogging. The full series is PART 1 (Few people will read your blog), PART 2 (Expect little to no traffic at all), PART 3 (Patience will wear thin. Enthusiasm will run dry), PART 4 (You won’t earn thousands right away).

4. You won’t earn thousands right away. Most bloggers blog for money, the reason why many people start blogging. Although, yes, it’s true, you can make an adequate income through blogs (and if you’re lucky, make a full-time living from it), you can’t expect to make thousands right away. Let me tell you my story.

Two years ago, I was one of those people thinking that once you get accepted into the Google Adsense program, you’ll start earning right away. I was one of those “dead-wrong” people thinking that, just as long as I have ads on my page, every visitor will click on them. But I was wrong.

Ten months into blogging, I was not making any money from Adsense, the reason why I eventually lost interest in the program, and told myself to never bother with it anymore. (There were of course so many reasons why I wasn’t earning: for one, my blog was personal in nature, I didn’t have a niche, I didn’t know SEO, etc.)

Last month, I came across an article in an entrepreneur magazine featuring 3 local probloggers making money from their blogs. The article somehow ignited my passion for blogging once again, this time more determined to make a little money. And so I started this little blog about business, entrepreneurship and problogging - Negosyo360 (Negosyo is the Filipino word for “business.” Negosyo360 is Business360 in English).

Beginners need to understand that money-making isn’t easy, even for some established blogs. Read Darren Rowse’s post on the 10 Reasons Why Many Blogs Don’t Make Much Money.

So that’s it, let’s all be realistic, making money online is not as simple as it sounds. Although there are so many ways people can make money with their blogs now compared with 2 years ago, you still have to do your part as a publisher – and that’s to publish great content.

Again, here’s the full series: PART 1 (Few people will read your blog), PART 2 (Expect little to no traffic at all), PART 3 (Patience will wear thin. Enthusiasm will run dry), PART 4 (You won’t earn thousands right away).

4 comments:

joshua said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Sharon

http://www.autoloans101.info

Gel said...

Thanks Sharon, I'm glad you liked this blog :-)

Enjoy the holidays!

Balla Zsolt said...

Hi Gel,

Thanks for the mini-series, I've found each and every one of them quite inspiring. I think we're pretty much walking in the same shoes. I've also recently started over professional blogging (my personal blog has been around for almost five years, but that doesn't even have ads on it). I've given problogging another shot for various reasons, one of them being, of course making money from those blogs (others include establishing a personal brand name, for example).
I've subscribed your blog, feel free to check out mine. Cheers, happy holidays,
Zsolt

Gel said...

Hi zsolt, thank for the comment :-) glad to know that we're experiencing the same thing right now with our blogs. sure i'm going to check out your blog